Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Replacement Post

I know that some of you are wondering how you could get a 10/10 or a 5/5 on your posts and comments. I'm going to give you a chance to replace one of your scores with a new score by writing a final comment and reply. If you earn the perfect score, I will go back and replace one of your earlier scores with that perfect score. Does that make sense?

NOTE: This replacement post cannot be done instead of one of the other posts. It can only replace a low score, not a zero. You have to do all of the other posts (4 total) in order to earn the right to do this replacement post. (This is similar to the way that John has to suffer in order to earn the right to live in the Lighthouse!)

Assignment:
The final post requires you to select one quote from chapters 14-18 that you think captures a central idea. Start your post with the quote and the page number. Then, analyze the quote fully and integrate your own ideas on the benefits and dangers of technology/progress/or society.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

“But I don’t want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom. I want sin.” –Page 246. I think that this quote is so moving because it captures the contrast between the savage’s way of life and the brave new world. I caught myself, as I was reading this part of the book, just really rooting on John. He stands up for his beliefs and what he thinks is the right thing to do. This quote is essentially the main point of Brave New World. It reveals all the things that this society is reprimanding from its people in order to maintain comfort, happiness, and stability. Instead of people reading poetry and discovering the large concepts of religion they are given soma and expected to be sexually promiscuous to maintain the order. I also think it’s interesting later on this page when Mustafa Mond says to the savage, “you’re claiming the right to be unhappy,” and then the savage essentially says that he is in order to actually live life. It’s important for people to make mistakes and experience unhappiness in order to learn from living. Without these experiences I think that people would stop having emotions. I think that one major danger that technology will have on the future of our society is the loss of individualism. Although America stands for individualism, it seems like people have gotten so wrapped up in convenience and competition that they have lost sight of the beauty and reality of life around them. With the advancements that can be made with stem cell research it’s almost scary thinking about the Brave new world society. I’d like to think that we could never become as extreme as this society; however I do think that America has a hard time drawing its boundaries when it comes to new technology. We embrace new technology even if it means sacrificing jobs, resources, or personal contact. My major concern about the future of our society is the lack of social functioning. With texting becoming increasingly prevalent in our culture, it’s scary to think how little people will actually have conversations in the future. -SM

Anonymous said...

A huge dick in my pussy,a warm wet tounge up our arse and cum
along with pussy juice all over me. Fuck, ozzy

Check out my webpage - hcg injections

Anonymous said...

Hello, Nеat post. There is an issue along with yοur ωеbsite in web еxplоrer, would tеѕt this?

IE nonethеless is the mаrketplаce leader and a gooԁ element
of peοple will miss youг excellent
writing beсauѕe of this problem.

Visit my homеpagе: what is the hcg diet

Anonymous said...

This dеsіgn iѕ spectacular! You ceгtainly know hοw to keep a reaԁеr entertained.
Between your ωit and your ѵideos, I waѕ almost moved to start my own blog (ωell, almoѕt.
..HaHa!) Excellеnt job. I reallу еnjoyed what you had to say, аnd more than that, how you preѕented іt.

Toο coоl!

my blog poѕt - hcg diet reviews 2011